[外文游泳文献] Warming Up For Open Water Races

[复制链接]
小臭贝 发表于 2011-3-2 21:18:16
11077 0
Today, we bring the open water swimming spotlight to Gerry Rodrigues, a former age-group and collegiate pool swimmer who has found his niche in short-distance ocean races.

"Gerry wins by his wits," said Dana Totten of the Olympic Club. "He knows how to position himself. I’ve seen him beat guys he has no business beating."

He also made a best-selling video called Open Water Swimming – Skills, Techniques & Racing Tips.

Gerry Rodrigues has won hundreds of ocean and lake races throughout California including swims in Lake Berryessa, Lake Sonoma, Santa Cruz, Manhattan Beach, La Jolla, Seal Beach, Oceanside, San Clemente, Huntington Beach, Malibu, Ventura, Solano Beach, Dana Point, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, Will Rogers State Beach, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and dozens of Bud Light Ocean Festival Series races, as well as two Masters World Championship races, so we figure that he knows what he is talking about.

We asked Gerry the following questions about warming up for open water races.

Q1. How do you warm-up for open water swims?

I always warm-up in a pool first, if it's available. I like to be really well warmed-up since the pace is soooo fast in the beginning. In the pool, it is possible I swim 3-4 kilometers or more, or until I feel completely warmed up. The distance does not matter; what matters is the feel. I like to feel completely ready.

If no pool is available then I obviously warm-up at the open water competition site. In that case, the warm-up is for as long as it takes to get warmed up. I always swim the finish line numerous times because it is the most important part. I check on the many variables that are important at the end of a race.

For example, I check the gradient of the ocean bottom, the ocean floor composition, how may dolphins it might take before I start to run [up the beach to the finish], is one side steeper than the other, the distance to shoot for if it is a land finish, the distance from last buoy to finish pad if it is an in-the-water finish and the width of finish chute.

I mentally note how many swimmers can be accommodated in the chute width, the currents at finish. During the warm-up, I check all these variables and am completely prepared for any scenario. For me, all my races generally come down to the finish because I am not fast enough to break away from the pack. So knowing these kinds of details are my arsenal.

2. Do you do anything different when the water is cold?

Yes, I spend less time in the water and more time on land for my warm-up. For me, water temperatures below 65°F (18°C) are not enjoyable, especially when it gets down below 62°F (16°C). The colder the water was, the less in-the-water warm-up I do, unless I had a wetsuit.

My routine is straightforward with water temperatures between 60-64°F (15-17°C): I stretch, go for a 15-25 minute run to get my core temperature up, enter the water slowly to waist height and then splash water on my face and head to get rid of ice-cream headache from the cold. Once I get rid of the headache, then I do a warm-up swim whose length depends on if I have a wetsuit or not. At times, I bring a wetsuit so I can stay in for a longer swim warm-up if I know ahead of time that the setting does not lend itself to an opportunity for much running. I never stay in too long to get cold. Then I exit the water and go for another short run with a sweat shirt on to get my core temperature really warm......then I'm ready to race.

Q3. Do you do anything different when the water is really warm?

Warm water saps energy really fast, especially when the ocean is warm. Generally I spend less time in the water warming-up because it is not needed as much since muscles tend to be more supple in warmer temperatures and it is easier to get warmed-up. I warm-up, then stay in the shade and be a slug until race time. If it is super warm and the race allows for it, I do not wear a swim cap. I also wear a very breathable swimsuit, especially if it is a full-body suit. In fact, I am uncertain if I would recommend wearing a full-body suit in a really warm water race under bright sun on a clear day, especially if the suit is black.

Q4. What do you eat on the morning of the race?

I eat the same thing I eat every morning. There is no point in changing what got me to the race on race day. I do what I practice [on race-day morning]. But, people who do not eat before they race may be depriving themselves of optimal performance. To me, breakfast is the most critical meal, so depending on the start time, I eat my regular meal, or a slightly reduced meal. Specifically, I eat cereal, eggs and fruit. Then, before the race, maybe 30-60 minutes before the start, I have some fruit again and drink water and Gatorade. I vary what and when I eat depends on start time and race distance.

Q5. Do you warm-down?

Only if I have another race immediately after because I usually want to just hang around and talk with others.

Q6. Do you hydrate before the race?

I usually always drink water and Gatorade. I have found after years of racing and training that dehydration affects me more than if I did not eat or eat correctly. So I tend to make sure I am well hydrated, but not overly so. It takes time to learn the right balance. I don't change things on race day if I was not practicing them prior.

Q7. Where should you position yourself at the race start?

Great question as it depends on so many variables: who is in the field? is there surf? are there currents? am I going to be chased or I am I doing the chasing? are there a lot of huge guys in the field who can clear the way for me? There are just so many variables that it all depends. If possible, staying clear of contact is helpful.

Many have said to me, 'Gerry, you have it easy at the front because you don't get clobbered as much as us in mid-pack or in the back.' My response is always the same: 'I would prefer to get clobbered by those swimming at 1:20 to 2:00 minute per 100 speed than those swimming a minute per hundred speed. We may get clobbered less, but it is a lot harder hit. Would you prefer to crash your car at 30 or 60 mph?

In writing my book on open water swimming, I calculated there are approximately 16 million possibilities that can occur at the start of a race; so experience is a very important element in racing and placement at starts; that is, if you have the choice on where to start since some race starts are assigned.

Q8. Any other words of advice?

To those who believe it is not necessary to train in open water, and prepare for those variables, then you have unfortunately reduced your chances for success [in open water races], while increasing your exposure to risk. Open water racing is and will become more tactical as the racing fields become more competitive, and without the arsenal acquired from experience, those without specific experience will unfortunately encounter greater challenges.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

发表新帖

推荐课程

游泳科学:优化水中运动表现的技术、体能、营养和康复指导 是全面展现游泳运动科学知识与运动表现提升的专业指导书。全书从游泳运动的发展历程、科研发现、装备与技术革新,以及这项运动所涉及的运动员生理、心理和技术层面的理论与实践讲起,通过科学图表与数据分析,将优化游泳运动表现的重要方面——技术、体能、营养和康复进行了细致地讲解。书中还重点介绍了游泳训练的方法,包括泳池训练和陆上训练两部分,旨在帮助游泳教练、运动员及爱好者形成标准化的训练体系,有效提升游泳运动表现。
¥128 游泳技术
中级 类型:游泳训练
立即学习 17379人已学习
蛙泳的基本技术
¥免费 蛙泳的客观规律
初级 类型:配合
立即学习 16775人已学习
仰泳的基本技术
¥免费 仰泳的客观规律
初级 类型:配合
立即学习 16501人已学习