[外文游泳文献] The Other Side of Ryan Lochte

[复制链接]
小臭贝 发表于 2011-2-15 13:14:02
9897 1
0.jpg

Whenever anyone familiar with the world of swimming hears the name “Ryan Lochte” they grin, like they know him personally. Most conjure up an image of a laissez-faire wavy-haired free spirit who dons glitzy silver grills on award stands. Others envision a six-foot-two flippered monstrosity who has quietly acquired six Olympic medals while quoting Lil’ Wayne with the frequency of a teeny-bopper rap fan.

Whatever image the name “Ryan Lochte” brings to mind – the point is, you have one. He is a character in the story of swimming, whether you know him personally or not. He is as familiar to us as Gary Hall Jr. was, due in part largely because he’s not afraid to show us his true personality. At first glimpse, Ryan Lochte is not a rehearsed enigma like Michael Phelps and he’s not perfectly manicured like Natalie Coughlin.

Instead, Ryan Lochte feels like an old friend to us, a Holden Caulfield man-child character walking amongst us on the pool deck. He wears a smile like it’s an accessory, and uses his laid-back charm to both please his fans and dismantle his opponents. For skeptics who doubt Lochte’s immense and transcending popularity, go to any Lochte-attended swim meet, and listen to the frantic shrieks from Lochte fans (usually female): “Go Ryan!” Or perform a Google search then witness the amount of fan pages and blogs that pop up. Or do what I did: just type in the words “Interviewing Ryan Lochte” into your Facebook & Twitter account then record the amount of texts, emails, and messages you get.

He’s one popular dude.

But there’s another side to Lochte, the side not frequently reported on, since it’s less glamorous and glitzy than his all-white tuxedo he once wore to a Golden Goggles ceremony.

Ryan Lochte, philanthropist.

“It started after 2008. I was living comfortably and I really wanted to give back to the community,” Lochte told me over a phone interview on Wednesday afternoon. “Money is not a big issue to me. I want to help out other people that need it more than I do.”

On May 1st, Lochte will fly up to Dayton, Ohio to participate in a swim clinic to raise money for the Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy charity to fight the disease Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. See, Ryan Lochte’s uncle’s brother died of the disease, which primarily affects young men and is characterized by the deterioration of muscle fiber.  There is no cure. As the disease ravages its victims body, their ability to move without aid becomes impossible. Treatment is hard, and exercise is nearly impossible. The only option left to get these boys moving again is to send these boys to the pool, to swim. In fact, on the PPMD’s website, it says “swimming is one of the best aerobic exercises for boys with Duchenne.”

“When they’re in the water, they can swim because they’re weightless,” Lochte said.

Affected personally by the disease, and having such a close relationship to swimming, Ryan Lochte felt he wanted to link himself to PPMD and now gives a portion of his endorsement proceeds to help fight muscular dystrophy.  The past few years, Ryan has fought to raise awareness and funds for research.

“In 2008, I went to Washington to lobby to get more funding for [Duchenne research]. They’ve always been turned down,” Lochte told me. “When I came in and talked to the Senators, the bill got finally passed. They got more funding.”

Pretty ambitious for a guy who once made this video.

But that’s the thing. There’s two sides to the coin, two shades of grey, a hidden side that we don’t see often from Lochte. On the one hand, there’s the fun-loving Lochte. On the other, there’s a guy with a big heart who genuinely wants to help out some people less fortunate than himself.  This from a guy with a killer racing attitude who, after I asked him who his #1 rival was, responded:

“Everyone.”

To get to the bottom of the other sides of Ryan Lochte – the ones not necessarily known by the public -- I asked him a few other questions. You’ll see a couple different angles of the same familiar, friendly face. He’s a fierce competitor, eligible bachelor, swim enthusiast, and giving philanthropist. Here are some questions and answers with the Lochtinator himself.
 楼主| 小臭贝 发表于 2011-2-15 13:14:26
Let’s talk about the charity. How did you get into it? Why this particular charity – Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy (PPMD)?

My uncle, his brother died from muscular dystrophy. That’s how I got into it. I would say I started doing talks with them, then about four months later, after I started, I went to Washington, to capitaol hill to lobby to get more funding for it.

How old was your relative when he died?

I think he died at the age of 17.

This only affects males, correct?

It’s really outrageous how it only strikes guys. The unique thing is the only exercise they can do is swim. The disease namely affects you from the waist down, their legs. So they can swim, because they’re weightless in the water.

How much money do you expect to raise at the swim clinic?

I hope I’m going to pull in a lot. It’s for a good cause. I really hope that we raise awareness. Get people more aware. I hope I can help. (His assistant, Shawn Zenga, told me they expect to raise near $10,000).

Let’s get to some swimming questions. You had knee surgery recently. How’s your knee shaping up?

I still haven’t been able to kick breaststroke yet. The IMs are going to be really hard for me to do this summer.

Ten years from now, are you going to be involved in the swimming community?

I don’t think I’ll ever not be part of it. Maybe a swim coach down the road.

Have you done everything you’ve wanted to accomplish in your career?

No. There’s still so much more that I feel I can accomplish. The thing with me, no matter what, there are still things I want to do. Yeah, I got a gold medal and I got a world record. I want to get more gold medals. I want to get more world records. I want to get to a point in my career where everyone will remember me.

What do you think that’s going to take?

Gotta become the best. Gotta become the best.

Does that mean taking down Michael Phelps?

Yeah. I guess it does.

When did you know you wanted to become an Olympic Champion?

When I was younger growing up, I wasn’t the best swimmer. At all. But I had a dream of getting a gold medal. And it started around 14. I haven’t stopped thinking about that.

Do you have a rival?

Oh yeah. Almost everyone in the world that does my event.

Everyone is your rival?

(Laughs). Everyone.

If you could race anyone from any era from any time – such as Mark Spitz or Johnny Weissmuller – who would it be and why?

Pablo Morales. Growing up, he was my idol. A person I looked up to, that I wanted to be like. Also Matt Biondi, because he’s an all-around great swimmer. And right now, I love swimming against Michael Phelps.

Would you ever head up to Balitmore to train with Michael?

No. I don’t think so. Maybe for a week or so, but nothing permanent. I’m content with where I am right now. I like where I’m training right now. I like doing my own thing.

What do you love about swimming?  What do you hate about swimming?

What I love about swimming is the racing. I’ll keep doing it as long as I’m racing and having fun. The bad thing about swimming? I don’t like waking up every morning for practice.

What time do you wake up these days?

In the summer, around 4:30am. In the fall, 6am.

What’s the hardest set you’ve ever done?

We had a warm-up 1500, and then we had to do 100x100’s long course on the 1:10 base.

What were you holding?

Like, 1:05s the whole way.

What was the best swimming moment of your career?

Definitely getting my individual gold medal in Beijing.

What made that so great?

It was my first individual gold medal, and I broke the world record doing it. My family was right there with me. They all came and watched.

Last question.  For the female readers (and I’ve gotten a couple messages asking me to ask you this) – are you dating anyone?

(Laughs) No. I don’t have time for that.

Of course he doesn’t have time for girlfriends. Lochte’s too busy. Too busy wearing grills on award stands, twittering Lil’ Wayne lyrics, winning gold medals and breaking world records and, oh yeah, raising more money for charity than all the rest of us.

Jeah, indeed.

For more information on Duchenne or PPMD, visit this website or for specific details on the swim clinic Ryan is hosting in Dayton, visit here.

Also, be sure to watch Ryan Lochte compete at the upcoming Charlotte Ultraswim Grand Prix live on Swimnetwork.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

发表新帖

推荐课程

游泳科学:优化水中运动表现的技术、体能、营养和康复指导 是全面展现游泳运动科学知识与运动表现提升的专业指导书。全书从游泳运动的发展历程、科研发现、装备与技术革新,以及这项运动所涉及的运动员生理、心理和技术层面的理论与实践讲起,通过科学图表与数据分析,将优化游泳运动表现的重要方面——技术、体能、营养和康复进行了细致地讲解。书中还重点介绍了游泳训练的方法,包括泳池训练和陆上训练两部分,旨在帮助游泳教练、运动员及爱好者形成标准化的训练体系,有效提升游泳运动表现。
¥128 游泳技术
中级 类型:游泳训练
立即学习 17480人已学习
蛙泳的基本技术
¥免费 蛙泳的客观规律
初级 类型:配合
立即学习 16876人已学习
仰泳的基本技术
¥免费 仰泳的客观规律
初级 类型:配合
立即学习 16602人已学习